May 22, 2012

Five years ago I was preparing to go through the temple so I could get married in a month.  I was anxious and excited and nervous about all the usual things.  One thing that really made me nervous was meeting my future mother-in-law.  Kyle's family lived in Tennessee and so all through our courtship, I never got a chance to meet them.  He had met my family quite a few times, even my extended family.  I only knew his sister and brother-in-law and their little boy because they lived in Salt Lake.  Kyle's parents flew into Boise the day before we got married.  It was actually two days but they flew in super late that night so I'll just say the day before.  I'll never forget seeing this tall (she seemed tall at the time) red headed woman come up and hug Kyle in the Boise airport.  She told me a quick story about Kyle Brown when he as a child and we all laughed.  This was it, she was my new family.  She gave me a hug too and I'm glad.  I had heard and even seen horror stories of mothers-in-law so I was super nervous that I might have one of those horror stories too.  But thankfully I do not.  We are good friends and I am so thankful she is in my life.  She has taught me a lot about forgiveness and faith and perseverance.  I have witnessed her change and grow over these five years just as this whole family has changed and grown.  I can see the overwhelming love she has for my children and am so grateful that she is their grandma.  She raised an honest, hardworking, faithful son that I got to marry.  Her children all love her and her grandchildren all love her.  And while she is not my mother, she is one of my best friends and I love her so much.  I'm thankful that she is a part of my family.  So today I want to wish her a happy birthday.  Chris, you are one more good thing Kyle has brought into my life and I'm so glad we are family.


1 comment:

Chris said...

Wow! Thank you. Love you!!