It had been raining quite a bit so finding DRY wood was pretty much impossible. However, they got a fire started and put some wood up around it to get it drying. One of the forest rangers came over and chit-chatted with us. He informed told us to make sure our food was in the car because there was a bear den about 400 yards away. I asked Kyle if that was a little farther than a football field to which he apologized to everyone and said it was four football fields away. Later on that evening it started to rain, and rain, and rain AND RAIN. It was pretty bad and we were debating going home. Gladly we stuck it out though. We had also forgotten the ketchup and mustard for our hot dogs so we improvised and put potato salad on the the dogs. It was yummy! Later that night we had smores which were delicious of course. Jack had a lot of fun and surprisingly it wasn't that bad of a night. It was the first time I left my little girl for a night. I missed her and held her a lot the next day but I'm glad we got the experience. When we got up Jill cooked us some pancakes and eggs followed by another helping smores. Then we packed up and moved on out. I think in a way the rain was a blessing because it kept the bugs down and there are A LOT of bugs there.







Cambria helping Jill carry wood
Jack's too close to the fire
Salvaging the fire in the rain
Do you see the river in the background?
This is a keeper
In the morning. I guess it had rained some more through the night but I slept peacefully through it.
After we got back from camping and everyone had showered and rested for a bit we went to the Ripley's Aquarium in Gatlinburg. There were lots of really pretty fish and I think Jack really enjoyed it. He loved spending time with his uncle and Jenna who showed him the cool fish in the fish tunnel. A funny moment happened in one of the play tunnels at the aquarium. Jackson LOVES LOVES LOVES his cousin Jordan. When he was down in a dark play tunnel there was another boy about Jordan's age going through as well. Jack came up to this boy and gave him a BIG hug while squealing with delight. I'm pretty sure he thought is was Jordan but the kid was a good sport and patted Jack on the back. Children are so wonderful.
Grandma Brown and Claire
Jordan, Cambria and Jack in the Penguin Playground
Hamming it up
Jenna and Jack with his classic Jack expression
Travis pointing out fish stuff
Fish eye camera setting in the aquarium!
Piranha
Some last minute thoughts:
1. I didn't plan the fish jumper Jack is wearing for the aquarium trip it was just a lucky coincidence and
2. Jack got a hold of our camera later on in the day, turned it on and took about 25 pictures like this-all by himself. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment