Jun 11, 2014

She's here.  It's kind of late but I will write this down for me to remember for the most part. 


Kate Realla Brown was born May 20th by c-section.  She was 8lbs and 6oz, 20.5 in long.  The whole thing went seamlessly and I was delightfully surprised to see a full head of blonde blonde hair when I saw her.  Her middle name is my paternal grandma's name (and is pronounced Ree-la).  Kate is really just a delightful and sweet baby, but what baby isn't eh?  I feel like she's an "old soul" when I look at her and can't wait to see what she's like as she grows up.

It's no secret that I take medication for bipolar and the the benefits outweigh the risks when it comes to staying on Zoloft during pregnancy.  BUT, I guess I didn't know this but Kyle noticed it, our kids have a difficult time breathing when they are born.  Jack had to be on a CPAP and Claire had to have oxygen for a bit too but it's never been anything super serious.  When Kate was born, I guess she just didn't want to breathe.  Kind of weird I know, but they had to keep waking her up and agitating her to get her to breathe.  SO, Kate was on oxygen and in the NICU for a day.  The pediatrician was guessing it was because of the meds and those take about 24-26 hours to get out of the baby's system.   On top of the breathing thing, she had a heart murmur as well and so we had to get an echo cardiogram too. But by 11:00 am the next morning I was able to hold her and everything is just peachy now.  She got an APGAR of 8 and nobody seemed too concerned so that helped keep me calm a lot.  Everybody we talked to said these things clear up pretty quickly and they did.

Kate and I left the hospital that Friday.  The first night home with her was a little stressful.  It's been so long since we've had an infant.  But I think we've got the hang of it now.  Jack and Claire have been very helpful too which is such a blessing. They love their new little sister but I know they are anxious to play with her and that's kind of hard.  Claire adores holding Kate and Claire will sing to her and rock Kate when she cries.  She also likes doing This Little Piggy on Kate's toes.  Jack always wants to show Kate the cool things he can do.  He likes to tickle her cheeks.  He also asks if she can sleep in their room.  Sorry bud, that's gonna have to wait.

Kate so far loves to be held and loves to eat.  I'm sure that won't change much as she gets older.  She cracks me up though because whenever she looks at me it's like she's surprised or just embarassed for me ha ha.  She was born with a stork bite on her neck that goes up into her hair and a birthmark and angel kisses on her nose.  The angel kisses look like freckles to me.  When she's awake she's very observant IF she's being held.  If she's not being held, then she usually cries to be picked up.  She smiles when she's in REM sleep which I LOVE, BUT she also opens her eyes while her eyeballs are rolled back so it's a catch 22 cuz that's kind of freaky.

Jack and Claire got new bunk beds (thanks grandma and grandpa)  this last week and so far nobody has fallen or attempted to jump off the top bunk so I would call it a success.  Both of them were so excited to get a big bed and I am AMAZED at how small they are in those twin beds.  Jack's feet were hanging out of his toddler bed and now he has like four three of mattress to grow into.  They love it.

I'm so thankful for how well this transition has gone.  Obviously there have been a few hiccups but I think we're all adjusting well.  I'm excited for this summer, hopefully we get out there and have lots of fun.





 Officially a family of five.  Doesn't Kate look happy?


No comments: