Dec 8, 2011

I absolutely LOVE being a mother.  It is what I was born to do-I truly believe that.  But sometimes it's really hard.  Last nights was one of those nights.  Jack was crying for his mommy at 10:30 and then at 11:30.  I came in and laid down with him for a while to try and get him to go back to sleep but then Claire started crying because she was hungry.  She REFUSES to take any bottles-even if it does have breast milk in it-so I knew that it was up to me to feed her but Jack would start crying as soon as I stood up.  It was a little stressful, probably because I was almost asleep when this whole situation arose.  Needless to say, I did get Jack back to sleep and I was able to feed Claire and everyone woke up happy and chipper this morning so that was a relief.  It just gets hard when there are two (or more) of them and only one of you.  If only I had that necklace Hermione Granger had in Harry Potter and could be two places at once, I guess this helps my kids learn to share.

Last night I made pizza and was a little bummed I forgot to put bbq sauce AND Winger's Sauce on it.  P.S. Winger's Sauce is ab.so.lute.ly. AMAZING! 
It turned out okay but I've made better.  It didn't help that I accidentally spilled pineapple juice on it after pulling the pizza out of the oven.  Ugh, sometimes I can be pretty clumsy.  Just be glad I didn't try to be a surgeon or something.  The other night I made some sticky buns and used a roll recipe that was absolutely DIVINE!  I'm gonna make the rolls again tonight (sans the sticky bun-ness) and I just wanted to post the recipe for you.

http://www.food.com/recipe/buttery-bread-machine-rolls-65340

It's so good, it has landed a spot on my bookmarks bar instead of just the recipe folder so I can find the recipe lickety-split!

I just finished a set of 19 diapers last night.  It was a relief.  I was looking at our diaper stash this morning and I think I've maybe spent $300 on diapers, maybe.  And we have a massive MASSIVE diaper stash ( about 40 are in circulation right now with about 40 that have been packed away for the next baby, whenever we have another baby).  We bought a kill-a-watt and tested how much it costs to run our washing machine.  If it ran 24/7 for a full month, it would cost us about $4.  So we are spending about $4 a month on diapers (because it's not running 24/7 but are using detergent).  The dryer costs more so we usually air dry the diapers.  It also prevents melting the covers which has happened a few times and is a real bummer.  Cloth diapering is kind of a love hate relationship-I'll admit.  Sometimes I don't like to wash them or use them but when I look at the INSANE savings, it's TOTALLY worth it.  And they look really cute, and I don't have to throw away two to three bags of diapers a week, and they don't make our house stinky.  Now I've started on some pull-up style diapers/training pants for Jack.  They are gonna have race car sides on them.  I got my inspiration from these:



and this tutorial:



I'll post pics when they are done.  Joann's has started to sell PUL which is the waterproof fabric used in making diapers and diaper covers and it has been a dream.  They have actually always sold PUL but this stuff is specifically made for diapers from a diaper company.  It's also in Hobby Lobby and Hancock Fabric.  It's nice to be able to buy quality PUL and not have to pay for shipping (which got expensive).  I'm only making 10 of these trainers so that will be less tedious.  Plus it's pretty much sewing a whole bunch of rectangles and then adding snaps so it will go A LOT faster.

1 comment:

Brandon and Diedre Sloan said...

You are AMAZING!! I wish we lived closer so you could teach me how to make diapers/training diapers. I wish I was that cool. Have you thought about selling them? Because I would totally buy them.