
I am excited for Thanksgiving!! My family is coming down here and we are having the big feast at my sister's house. Kyle's sister's family is invited as well so they are coming and I get to introduce Jack to his new Aunt and Uncle and his Grandpa. My dad is AMAZING with kids so I'm excited for Jack to grow up a bit to really have fun with his family. This will be fun :)
For the meal, Kyle and I are supposed to bring a pumpkin pie and yams. Yay for orange foods!! Okay that was cheesy but I needed to segway into this. I am posting two of my favorite recipes so you can feel free to try them out AND they will be posted where I can always find them in case I lose the paper they are printed on.
First: Jamaican Rice and Peas
Ingredients:
1 medium sized can red kidney beans
1 can coconut Milk
2 cups of Rice
1 small onion/scallions, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme ( I use basil because Kyle doesn't like thyme)
1 tablespoon oil
1 scotch bonnet pepper whole (this is needed but really it's optional - any hot pepper will work)
Water
drain the liquid from the can of beans into a measuring cup and add the can of coconut milk and enough water to make for cups of liquid. Place liquids in a pot with beans, garlic, thyme and oil, bring to a boil. Add rice and stir for a minute. Reduce heat to medium-low. Place scotch bonnet pepper on top of liquid and cover tightly for 30 minutes or until rice is cooked. Remove scotch bonnet before serving.
Serves 4-5
This recipe is SUPER SUPER easy. The only precision you have to worry about is the liquids because of the rice. Eat it with ketchup - yes ketchup - over it.
Delicious!!!
--------
This recipe is a little more precise
Cake Mix Cookie #2
by Rachel Keller
Yields about 4 dozen
1 box cake mix (any variety)
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips ( can substitute caramel or peanut butter ships or do a combination)
1/2 - 1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup oil
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
nuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, blending well. If the mixture is too stiff, add a little water. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute before removing from the cookie sheets.
------
Life is good. Yesterday I was giving Jack some tummy time and he rolled over twice. When my sister came over later I decided to show him off and he did it again! Today Kyle and I tried to film it but I guess he was camera shy. He actually got really frustrated and just cried into the floor. It's so sad to hear him cry - sometimes it just sounds so sad and there's no other word for it. We're doing great though. Jack and I are starting to get into a routine. We go walking in the afternoon and I bundle him up really well.
Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
1 comment:
Ooo- you could come take a walk to visit us! :D
jk.
Kinda.
Yay for rolling over! How exciting!!
And good luck with those orange foods.. :)
Post a Comment